Monday, October 29, 2012

Of broken barnacles and sandy shores




These sharp- edged, broken barnacles slowly take me far back;
To my childhood when I picked countless shells to almost fill a sack .....
On hot sands I trailed, wading into froth....
The waters tugged at my feet; the seas were a heaving behemoth!

I searched for the pretty colours and patterns that pleased
The wonders on the shores I found never ceased ..!!
An anxious mother called out to return
I paid no heed not once did I turn ......

Happiness was finding long graceful Turretella, small round cowrie in a big heap !
The sharp thorny spindle and smooth oyster shells from under the sands peep!
My treasures were smuggled home so guiltily hidden
Father relented- I washed and dried them as bidden ...

Now I live in far away land ...
My treasure hunt is now for things grand ….
I still have some of those shells so near
Reverberates the song of the seas deep in my ear
When I put them to my head n hear
The Mangalore coastline is to me very dear!

1 comment: